College Scholarship Program
Church of the Savior
The Board of Trustees has established a College Scholarship Program for youth of Church of the Savior attending Christian colleges and universities. Christian higher education is typically much more expensive than state universities, but many Christian colleges offer matching scholarship amounts for a church-awarded scholarship up to a defined limit. The support offered by the home church is thus doubled by the college.
College students have historically drifted away from their Church of the Savior (COTS) connections and involvement. This program is one tangible link to help keep some of our college kids involved with and supported by their home church.
Applicants must submit a Scholarship Application form (see back) to the Scholarship committee by the last Sunday in May (31st). Applications can be turned into the COTS office or e-mailed to email@example.com. They must consider COTS their home church and have attended regularly. They will be asked to quote materials from their college which describe its Christian character. Applicants must be between the ages of 16 and 25, be admitted as a full time undergraduate student in an accredited degree program at a Christian college or university, and have a high school or prior college GPA of 2.0 or better on a 4.0 scale. Continuing college students must be in good academic standing with their college.
All qualified applicants that submit a completed application will be awarded an equal share of the designated funds available, up to the $1,000 maximum per student per year for up to four years. Awards will be paid by COTS directly to the Christian college or university for that student’s costs: tuition, housing, meals, fees, etc. No payments will be made directly to any student. This is a true scholarship meaning no repayment of any kind is expected.
The COTS Scholarship committee is comprised of three COTS members, one who serves on the Board of Trustees and two who are members at large. Scholarship committee members may not have immediate family of college age or be contributors of over 20% of the scholarship fund during the period they serve on the committee. Scholarship committee terms this year are for one, two, and three years. Each subsequent new member will have a three year term resulting in one new committee member each year. Scholarship committee members are appointed by the Board of Trustees.
The Scholarship Program is funded by designated gifts to COTS. If there are no gifts in a given year, there will be no awards. All persons interested in giving to the scholarship fund are encouraged to make donations above their normal church contributions. They may contribute by writing “scholarship fund” on the memo line of their donations. Funds may not be designated to any particular student. Donations may be made to the fund anytime during the fiscal year. The new year for the scholarship fund starts July 1 with the new fiscal year. Scholarship money will be dispersed once a year to the schools of qualifying applicants. Any funds not used in a given year will be carried over to be available in the scholarship process for the next year. All funds are equally divided between qualified applicants who submit completed applications. Information about scholarship fund balances and yearly awards will be provided to the church body by the Board of Trustees on a regular basis.
Scholarship Application Form
New applicants must submit this form to the Scholarship committee by May 31st, 2015. Applications can be turned into the COTS office or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org Renewing applicants just need to submit a copy of their transcript or grade record for the previous year. You must consider COTS your home church and have attended in the past several years. You must be between the ages of 16 and 25, be admitted as a full time undergraduate student in an accredited degree program at a Christian college or university, and have a high school or prior college GPA of 2.0 or better on a 4.0 scale.
Phone ___________________________________________ Alternate Phone________________
Birth date______________________________Social Security Number____________________
Email____________________________ Year in college this fall_________________________
- Please provide photocopied evidence of your current GPA from the school you attended most recently.
Continuing college students, skip to the bottom of the form for the last three questions
- If your college has a church match scholarship, you must submit the college forms with this application to receive the match.
- Please answer these questions on a separate piece of paper and submit it with this application:
1. Do you consider Church of the Savior your church home? Please describe your involvement over the last 3 years with COTS including attendance and program participation.
2. Name the Christian college or university where you have been accepted and are enrolled as a student next year, and quote from their materials a description of their Christian character.
3. How many academic hours are you taking next semester or quarter?
4. How do you intend to stay actively involved in Christian life during your schooling?
5. Does your college or university offer a church-scholarship match? (The lack of a church match scholarship from your college will not change your eligibility for the Church of the Savior scholarship. If you do have a church match, you must submit the forms from your college with this application to receive the match.)
Continuing college students only:
6. How many college credit hours have you completed?
7. Are you in good academic standing with your college?
8. Do you agree to get refunded or to repay the scholarship if you withdraw from college during the year?
The applicant hereby agrees to adhere to all rules of the process, agrees to whatever arbitration process we decide upon if necessary, and agrees that decisions of the board are final.
Signature of Applicant________________________________________ Date_______________